The wheelings and dealings continued for Bruce Arena’s Los Angeles Galaxy today. The club announced that forward Edson Buddle has been traded to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for allocation money and a first round pick in the 2013 supplemental draft.
Buddle originally joined the Galaxy in June 2007 and spent three and a half seasons with the club, scoring 42 times in 87 regular season appearances. He was an MLS All-Star in 2008 and 2010 and also had a stint with Germany’s FC Ingolstadt before returning to the States.
Another trade was made with neighboring club Chivas USA. They have given their natural first round pick in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft, an international roster slot for the 2013 season and the No. 19 position in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process to the Goats. This was to acquire former Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark in the first round. In the second round, the Galaxy picked up goalkeeper Will Hesmer, formerly of the Columbus Crew. The will have seven days to make a genuine offer to Hesmer and Clark. Even if an agreement cannot be reached, the Galaxy will still hold the right of first refusal for both players.
Hesmer is, for the time being, a backup goalkeeper to Josh Saunders but Saunders has not come to terms with a new deal. Finally, former Galaxy midfielder Bryan Jordan was picked up by the San Jose Earthquakes. Jordan will join another former Galaxy player, Alan Gordon, next season, pending coming to terms with a contract.
As for Arena, the work is just getting started. “Whether there’s activity or not remains to be seen, but you’re constantly looking at ways to improve yourself whether that is before the draft or after the draft,” said Arena to LAGalaxy.com’s Adam Serrano. “We’re certainly not saying that we’re content where we are and we’re not going to make any more moves. We’re certainly going to look to continually improve our team at every position.”
Here is a recap of Stage 2 of the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Process.
2012 RE-ENTRY DRAFT STAGE 2 / ROUND 1
1. Toronto FC — DF Danny Califf
2. Los Angeles Galaxy — MF Colin Clark
3. Portland Timbers — PASS
4. New England Revolution — FW Chad Barrett
5. Philadelphia Union — FW Conor Casey
6. Colorado Rapids — MF Eric Avila
7. FC Dallas — DF Stephen Keel
8. Montreal Impact — PASS
9. Columbus Crew — PASS
10. Vancouver Whitecaps — FW Paulo Jr.
11. Chicago Fire — PASS
12. Real Salt Lake — MF Lovel Palmer
13. NY Red Bulls — PASS
14. Sporting Kansas City — PASS
15. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Dan Gargan
16. Seattle Sounders — PASS
17. D.C. United — MF John Thorrington
18. Houston Dynamo — PASS
19. Chivas USA — PASS
1. Toronto FC — PASS
2. LA Galaxy — GK Will Hesmer
3. New England Revolution — DF Hunter Freeman
4. Philadelphia Union — PASS
5. Colorado Rapids — PASS
6. FC Dallas — PASS
7. Vancouver Whitecaps — PASS
8. Real Salt Lake — PASS
9. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Ty Harden
10. D.C. United — PASS
1. LA Galaxy — PASS
2. New England Revolution — PASS
3. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Bryan Jordan
1. San Jose Earthquakes — PASS